Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Writer's Week Response

So writer's week was pretty cool...Yeah let's just dive right into this thing. Ok so on the first Friday, Mary Fons read, and I thought it was pretty amazing. I mean, the whole typing to Beethoven's symphony on the big screen intro thing kinda threw me off, because there was a giant fig/fichus/spruce/plastic tree in my way. Anyways, I loved the "And I'm So Young" poem, I heard it freshman year and I was hoping she would perform it again, and I got my wish. Probably one of my favorite poems, like, ever. I also remember her saying (who am I kidding, I wrote it down, ok) "Our best laid plans are there for God's amusement." That hit me really hard, and I can't even put my finger on exacatly why. But I guess I'll know soon enough.
Moving right along, when Billy Lombardo spoke on Monday, I thought he was hilarious. He was extremely redundant, and I know this upcomming quote isn't a prime example, but here goes: "I never add egg to your meatballs, even though your meatballs are kinda dry." He definately used the word "meatballs" twice within the same sentence, and I recall him using the word "keys" literally 20 or more times during a different poem. I still thought it was great writing though, and overall, I enjoyed his performance.
Wednsday's performance was made awsome by Mr. Brewner. The guy's a genius, what can I say? The only problem was, I was too engrossed in his insanely creative writing that by the time he finished, I realized I hand't written anything down. So no quote from him, unfortunately. Later that day, I encountered a quote I would remember even without writing it down, from the musical "Speed Dating." It's not very relevant though, so we'll just toss that one aside.
On Thursday, I don't even remember who said it (which is a little sad, because I had met them the previous day) but one girl said "somewhere a baby cries for a father she'll never know." That quote struck me as something that could be slapped on an anti-war poster. It bears the cold hard truth, and I'll admit, that quote will probably stick with me for many a good year.
Friday was a complete powerhouse, with Beth Ann Fenelly and Marc Smith reading. Talk about good writing; what I heard was unbelievable. Beth Anne Fenelly said something that was pretty life changing; "only when we think clearly can we speak clearly, and only when we speak clearly can we change the world." (That one, I did memorize...It's that good of a quote.) And then Marc Smith shared even more wisdom in saying "If you feel there's something inside of you that you have to do, you're not making it up." I can't even bring to light exactly how those quotes hit me, because I don't even think I'll ever know. But let there be no question- both of those phrases will change my life at one point or another. In ending, I'll just say that I absolutely loved this writer's week, and that writing those thank you letters (which I normally hate with a passion) was a breeze, simply because of the authenticity and pure genius of this week's performances.

No comments: