Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Writer's week

My reaction to writer's week was...Damn it! I missed both fridays because of a doctor appointment and a fluke sickness, and it just was not the same as it has been. I was introduced to many different experiences this time around however, and I think that those new experiences really broadened myself.(By the way, if I'm falling asleep tomorrow, its because I procrastinated until 2:30 in the morning to do everything- but it's cool)
My week started with Billy Lombardo, who I saw for the 4th time in three years (yep, back to back english classes last year). So no offense to him or anything, but it kind of was a little repetitive. But at least he didnt read the same piece he had been reading the last 2 years! But for cerial, he's a good writer. It seemed like he'd gotten slightly more melancholy since the last time I saw him (that's an understatement, how do you go from a story about little league baseball to child abuse the next year). But he's always been very good, and he's one of those guys who you could just tell is a really nice guy (I feel like I know him after three consecutive years). haha.
Next up came Scott Woldman & Co. (or as I like to call them "the perverted playwright and his sexually obsessed sidekicks"- I think I like that name), haha but seriously- they were definitely my favorite performance at writer's week (Besides me/Lauren of course). I really liked when all the girls in the play were singing about what they want in a guy, and they guys all sang back their only desires, "will you, will you, will you, will you sleep with me?!". Priceless. I do have to say, I was let down with the performances from the teachers- what a poor representation of our high school! They just seemed uptight the whole time- but overall the entire thing was hilarious.
Then came Thursday, ahhh good old thursday. What could go wrong that day? (In case you were wondering; everything. Worked on my piece the night before until 3; then started feeling sick. Which of course carried through the night and I missed the first 2 periods. Then, I did almost all of my edits in math class- yeah a full hour before I was speaking- but I nobly pushed through). When I got up on stage, I started feel better a little bit actually; but that wasn't saying much. Anywho, I'd have probably been nervous if I hadn't felt so sick soooo...blessing in disguise? Yeah, so I went up to read mine and was greeted to a chorus of "ROSEY"'s from my friends. Schweetness. I read mine almost flawlessly (not really) but it went by decently. Whatevs. Then Lauren went, and she was reallly good. Theeeeen some other students went, who shall remain nameless, but for our dicussion purposes, I'll refer to him/her as Mathan Humway..and theirs was awesome (I didnt actually listen, but it lulled me into a peaceful sleep; I was grateful). Anyways, after that I went to the nurses office and had a 100 degree temperature, so I missed my physics test. The day just kept getting better!
Later that day, We went to go see Daphne Willis, who graduated with my bro. She was pretty good, but kind of felt a little repetitive (by a little, I mean a lot). I was glad just to listen to music for a whole period though, but I had a feeling that Justin "The Grouch" Park (for all those interested, here's a picture: http://images.wikia.com/muppet/images/c/c9/OG-p0002-ST.jpg) did not feel the same way. Whenever I turned to talk to him during the show, he'd turn away from me, and make an annoying grunting noise. After the show, I asked him what was wrong and he responded with: I HATE THIS MUSIC!...talk about a negative nancy.

(P.S. this wasn't meant to rip JP apart in any sense, it's just that I thought his actions could describe the faults in the performance better than I could.)

Then friday came and went with me staying in my rightful place (my bed). Then when I woke up, I spent my time being very depressed about writer's week (between commercial breaks on TV of course. Of course I was watching HBO -daytime TV sucks- sooo....)

I think I just gave my 2008 writer's week experience a good description, so I'll stop there (so I don't dig myself into a deeper hole than I already just did).

No comments: