Monday, March 3, 2008

Writers Week!!!

Writers Week is my favorite week of the school year. We are so privileged to learn from other writer's insightful voices. I am glad I had the opportunity to share my piece at writers week (although I was incredibly nervous). 

I really enjoyed the Speed Dating musical performed by Scott Woldman & Co. Mr. Woldman was my 8th grade English teacher and I really enjoyed the humor in his writing then and still now.  This segment was from a different category than any of the other writers. Rather than hear about some one else's life stories, it was fun to see a theatrical entertainment piece. I know that there was a lot of exaggeration but truth was evident in that piece as well and that made it truly hilarious.

Daphne Willis & Co. developed a music style unique in it's own melody. I love the way they seemed to step out of the basic box the music industry hands out. I am currently learning how to play guitar so it was inspiring to know that she taught herself guitar as well and became successful in her efforts. Students thrive for music and I am really glad that this segment was at writers week to meet the tastes of most teenagers. 

Marc Smith also was one of my favorites. I learned that a poem doesn't have to hold a deep meaning of love, hope, and failure but can be fun just to describe an idea.  I loved the energy her brought to the stage and I hope that one day I will be able to express myself with the confidence he has. 

I saw Lauren and Rosie perform and they both did an excellent job. Lauren slid quite a few laughs into her pocket throughout the piece. Rosie captured everyone's attention and heart with his moving piece.

I am already looking forward to listening to the encouraging, insightful, and hilarious words next year's writers week will hold.

No comments: