Sunday, October 21, 2007

First off, I'd like to thank you guys for publishing the story of Chris McCandless in a more neutral light than other magazines and newscasts. I think he was right to have done what he did and was definitely not crazy or whatever. The fact that we, as a society, would label any man who chased after his dreams and aspirations as "crazy" and "foolish" seems completely ridiculous to me. I bet he was fully aware of the dangers and hardships he had to face. I'd like to see anyone who said McCandless was "stupid" and "green" survive in the Alaskan wilderness for two months using only the handful of supplies that he had brought along. McCandless should be a hero for everyone and an inspiration to those who are still dreaming big. It saddens me that society has become so close-minded to an individual's dreams; sooner or later we won't be much different from the Communists we were going to bomb or the Iraqis receiving our "help".

No comments: