Sunday, October 21, 2007

Outside magazine
While reading your article about Chris McCandless, I became more and more interested in his story. My teacher purposed the idea to think about Thoreau while reading this article while i was about half way through. When i started to focus on the similarities and differences of these two people it became more interesting. I really enjoyed reading about Thoreau and his way of living. When I began to read about McCandless, i realized that i started to have more respect for both of them. At first i just thought Thoreau was alone in his belief's and was sort of a nut case. But after reading your Outside magazine, McCandless made it all make sense. Jon Krakauer's story on McCandless was extremely interesting because the certain details he decided to put into the article were crucial. For example, in the article Krakauer mentioned that the young man had a novel by Thoreau in his backpack which he carried with him the entire time. To me, this opened my eyes even more to their belief's. They were both extrema individuals, yet very different personalities. By adding this small piece of information it opens one's eyes to what was truly important to the young man.
I also agree with Krakauer that McCandless's trip was not a death wish. I think he truly just wanted to go out 'into the wild' and take risks. I don't think he wanted to go the rest of his life knowing he didn't do that for himself. Krakauer makes that opinion clear in the article, which i think was a good move on his part because people need to know that this article has opinions in it. Outside magazine did an outstanding job with reporting the McCandless story to the people and because of this, people have been deeply affected by it even to this day.

1 comment:

jill said...

I totally agree with you Lauren and throughout the article I often found myslef refering to Thoreau and comparing them slightly on how they handled situations. I think that they did an incredible job as well, and I find both of their beliefs facsinating. I still contridict myself whether or nt this was a death wish although I want so badly to beieve that to wasnt.