Saturday, October 20, 2007

To the Editor

Wow! I'm so glad you included this article of Chris McCandless in this issue of The Outsider. Like Chris, I've been inspired by the teachings of transcendentalism and have just wanted to return to nature and simply LIVE. But unlike Chris, I am unable to initiate action. I am merely a dreamer but was able to experience a little bit of what I desired through Chris' real-life adventures. I was truly awestruck by Chris' tenacity and ability to survive for as long as he did in the Alaskan wild. Although some argue that his stubbornness was what killed him, since he never took "no" as an answer, I admire his courage. I believe that stubbornness was exactly what Chris needed to survive in the Alaskan land. Yes, it's obvious Chris' desire to traverse unknown lands was unconventional, but does that make his mission a suicidal and crazy one? Is he a psycho for pursuing his dreams? Chris was born different from the rest from society, and I think it's unfair to blame his death on his supposed "stupidity."
Although Chris ended up dying, in his final journal entry, he writes that he has lead a happy life, further disproving his "suicidal venture." However, despite the fact that Chris' tale is being told, I am disappointed that it isn't Chris himself sharing his experience with the world since his story truly inspires people to seek life outside the box. Like so many other stories, Chris' also instills a desire to be different in each individual. After reading a brief article on Chris' expanse life, I, too, want to carry out my dreams of living a life of "ultimate freedom" and have a personality and mind as great as Chris'.
Thanks again for including this article. Who knows? I may be the next person headlining newspapers about a feat similar to that of Chris'.

2 comments:

Alex paul said...

i kind of agree with your point of view on Chris McCandless, but at the same time I must wonder if he even thought about what might happen to him if something went wrong. I do not think that he completely thought thi venture through, otherwise he would have been netter prepared.

Swathi said...

He simply just wanted to live, you are right Jennifer. My question however is that is this the way in which he should have gone about it? Shouln't he not have been more prepared? I agree with you that it was not his stupididty but rather his feeling that he had gone too far to turn back now.