Thursday, November 29, 2007

Extended Metaphor

Life is like a well run game of Dungeons & Dragons.
We all begin with a small bit of knowledge and a blank character sheet.
Pen in hand, you peruse the rule books, marveling at the possibilities laid out before you.
And by a throw of the dice, your immediate future is decided.
Without much more than a basic grasp of the rules, you venture out into the unknown.
Your first quest is a memorable as your latest as you drink to celebrate another job well done.
But the glory is short lived when you find yourself losing interest.
Party members come and go as everything settles into a slow repetitive cycle.
And just as you are losing yourself; drowning in sorrow and ale, you are called upon once more.
Rallied to vanquish the evil that threatens to engulf the land.
But you think that you cannot do anything, you feel sad, hopeless, lost.
Until one day, an old friend comes to visit.
They don't chastise your unexpected retirement, but talk of the days of old.
"What of that dragon in the northern lands?" he asks, "Or the cyclopes in the west?"
And by the end of the day, you are alight with new purpose; determination burning in your eyes.
Mounting your trusty steed and shouldering your weapon of choice, you ride off into the sunset once again.

4th Edition rulebooks are out in May of '08!

Questions:
Should be poem be retooled to be just a general fantasy metaphor (as of the the D&D plug doesn't do much for the piece).

Is the poem too cryptic to makes sense (i.e. can you feasibly make connections after you've dug just a little bit deeper)?

Changes
Alex Paul makes a good point about the first sentence. I would say that (looking at the comments) the poem is accessible enough to most people, but still has its head-stratching moments, which to me, makes the metaphor more realistic (well, as realistic as casting magic and slaying dragons gets). Adding in some kind of ending would be nice too, kinda like overcoming whatever hurdle you have in life and moving onto the next one.

5 comments:

Alex paul said...

Your opening sentence is simile, fix that and the rest is great!

Megan Wongkamalasai said...

1)I thought that using a specific game worked well. I don't really know what dungeon and drangons is but I have experienced other games that are probably similar. Maybe you could use the element of dungeon of dragons to narrow your audience.

2. I didn't find the poem to cryptic. I actually followed it pretty well and found that your comparison of life to a game worked really well.

?1. Are you an avid player of dungeon and dragons?

?2. What happens when a better game comes out and you want to move on from dragons and dungeons?

Roxanne said...

1.) I agree with Megan, I thought using D&D's worked very well because then you were able to use specific references to the game.
2.) The poem was a little bit cryptic to me just because I don't have any prior knowledge of what D&D's is or how it works. However, I still picked up on a lot of the metaphor (I think)

1.) Is there a reason why you chose D&D's as opposed to other fantasy games?
2.) How can you weave in more aspects of the game as opposed to your life?

Colleen V. said...

I don't know; I guess I just hate using "he/she" and he is more universally used. By the way, I didn't know people still played Dungeons & Dragons. Ha just kidding.

Andrew Richards said...

1. Yes, I think the more general connection would work better.

2. I understood the connections relatively well,I would say it's subtle without being overly cryptic.

1. What made you choose D&D is particular?

2. Is there resolution in the game, or is it just an endless cycle?