Thursday, November 1, 2007

Hall Monitors

I have long been compelled to write a piece about the glorious preservers of peace in the hallways of every school that protect the people from every form of harm. Called “student supervisors”, though sometimes disrespectfully referred to as “hall monitors” by ungrateful students, these wonderful and necessary agents of order over chaos are permanently dedicated to their cause. Without them, the schools would disintegrate into disorder and nobody would ever be content again.
I must comment at the devotion shown by the student supervisors who rapidly apprehend and justly punish any insolent student that dares to cross any of the boundaries carefully placed by the omniscient administrative staff. Any student that violates the entirely reasonable set of rules deserves far worse treatment than given to them. Trips to the administration office or detentions are trivial punishments for a crime against such a wonderful authority.
I am personally grateful to the hall monitors for the reminders that they constantly give me to keep myself disciplined and without guilt. I am somewhat ashamed at my own forgetfulness when I walk into the building and am told in a pleasantly loud and harsh voice “NO HATS IN SCHOOL!” That means that I forgot to follow the purposeful and ancient rule created for the everyday good of everyone. I am lucky not to be severely punished for it. Once I saw someone who was obviously very rushed in the morning and needed to get some extra breakfast before his second class. He was eating a bagel, how dare he, when the hall monitor reminded him “No eating in the hallway! You’ll have to wait until you get to class to eat that.” That ability to provide logical alternative solutions is one of the things that I admire most about the hall monitors.
Really, I am grateful to the hall monitors because without them, the school couldn’t function. Chaos would reign, and there would be people who dare to eat and wear hats in the hallways. The hall monitors are always successful in breaking up the fights in the halls, so without them I don’t know what would happen. We need hall monitors, and I would like to use this opportunity to thank them for all the times they have saved the school and enforced the great rules.

No comments: